Search

Showrabbits.com Forum · General

Replies in this thread : 7

Author Topic : Trait Project Question
 CrimsCreek
Premium Member

System.__ComObject
12/25/2017 7:18:02 PM reply with quote send message to CrimsCreek Object to Post   

Since I had to reduce my herd, I had to drop one trait to focus on - now that brings up a question. Should I breed my sole buck, which I'm keeping for his head trait - to the does I'm keeping for their head trait OR to the does I'm keeping for their ear trait?
 JustLooking
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/26/2017 1:37:15 PM reply with quote send message to JustLooking Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

With such a small group and without studying them all its hard to say.

Do you have the means to use outside studs? Is your breed one in which studs are consistently made available at a reasonable cost? If the answers are generally 'yes', perhaps consider keeping no stud. (My herd would be all does if I were limiting myself to 10 animals.)

Instead of keeping two separate lines, I'd pick one trait as your primary focus, another as the secondary focus. One focus might even be the overall SOP to work toward a competitive animal. Perhaps 'Head' and 'SOP'?

At some point you are going to need to combine your lines I would think. If one line has great heads and poor ears, and the other has great ears and poor heads, when you combine them you could lose all the work on both.

So, I would select the best examples of the #1 trait, then weed those good #1s further by picking the best based on the #2 trait, then #3 if you chose to have a third one. It's going to be a balancing act.

Now go out to the stud book, or your fellow breeders and see who has a stud with first #1 trait, then #2 trait and #3 trait. Basically pick your best stud choice on the same criteria as you use for your does.

If you adopt this plan, step one would be to breed all your does to your one stud, then "remove" him. From the offspring select your best doe choices using that same criteria - include your current does in the selection.

Good luck.

-----
Last edited by JustLooking on 12/26/2017 1:56:46 PM
 CrimsCreek
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/26/2017 2:56:46 PM reply with quote send message to CrimsCreek Object to Post

www.showrabbits.com/barn.aspx?barn=HL+Ear+Tortie+Does

2 does in this barn

www.showrabbits.com/barn.aspx?barn=HL+Head+Tortie+Does

7 does in this barn

www.showrabbits.com/barn.aspx?barn=HL+Head+Tortie+Bucks

Sole buck

I did/still have the slots for the other trait I was working on (body). I was thinking if I could raise these two traits up, I could focus on the body after that.
 CrimsCreek
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/26/2017 7:38:39 PM reply with quote send message to CrimsCreek Object to Post

I did go through the stud list for Holland Lops and found some cheap boys.

I've made a list to match up my does to those studs. I'm almost tempted to use these numbers to reduce the herd again.

Looking at the information, I'm tempted to switch focus and start with the ear value as all of my stock are in the range of 56.2 to 56.5 and that's not quite where I want this trait.
 CrimsCreek
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/27/2017 4:56:16 PM reply with quote send message to CrimsCreek Object to Post

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I just bred Morris to Whitney.

Here's how that match up is in numbers:

Morris, 58.07 general sop; 44.53 usop.
Whitney, 57.73 general sop; 43.28 usop.

Morris, 79.8 body; 59.0 head; 56.2 ear.
Whitney, 73.1 body; 59.6 head; 56.5 ear.

The whole litter is likely to be all black torties.

-----
Last edited by CrimsCreek on 12/27/2017 8:46:18 PM
 Rule Breaker Rabbitry
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/29/2017 7:27:32 PM reply with quote send message to Rule Breaker Rabbitry Object to Post

In my experience when trying to improve traits, I've seen the best results when the buck and doe have a larger difference in trait numbers.

For example the following kit was produced from parents who had an 89.6 and 80.1 in head. The kit has a 91.1 head trait.

www.showrabbits.com/rabbits.aspx?id=1049990
 CrimsCreek
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/29/2017 9:55:16 PM reply with quote send message to CrimsCreek Object to Post

In other words, I should have breed the does to outside bucks then breed the daughters to Morris.
 CrimsCreek
Premium Member

Premium Member
12/30/2017 5:09:56 AM reply with quote send message to CrimsCreek Object to Post

Kits are here!

Three does and like I thought all solid black torties!

www.showrabbits.com/rabbits.aspx?id=1052896

Now I have a dilemma - do I keep all three girls and discard Whitney OR keep only two of the girls and keep the Whiteney?

Replies in this thread : 7

CrimsCreek
Rabbits for Sale
JustLooking
Rabbits for Sale
Rule Breaker Rabbitry
Rabbits for Sale